Monday, January 11, 2010

Undercover Wine Geek


I love to visit wine shops and restaurants.  Most of the time, I am able to sneak in undetected and get what I need. Sometimes, though, I stop to help out some lost customer that appears to be invisible to the employees.  "Oh, do you work here?" they usually ask me when I offer my help. "Nope, just your friendly, undercover wine geek," I reply with my hands on my waist a la Wonder Woman.  Oh, the eyebrow-lifts I've seen after that.  But usually, once the confusion wears off, the eyebrows lower and the floodgates open, pouring out all sorts of wine questions. (It is amazing how many people won't ask questions about wine unless they are approached. Perhaps a sign that wine professionals are still too intimidating?)


Now, I want to encourage everyone to ask questions, but also keep in mind that the answers you get may not be 100% accurate all of the time.  Most of the time it isn't even intentional.  Not everyone that is a "wine professional" knows all there is to know about wine - heck, I barely know everything there is to know!  Just check the 'facts' you get and learn your personal preferences and you'll be better equipped to sift through all the little (red & white) wine lies that are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment